Sunday, September 9, 2012

Week 1, a bust or a blessing

Well, this week was a lot HARDER than I thought it was going to be.  There were many times I felt that I had failed because my plans were changed so many times.  After all is said and done, here is what I have learned so far:

1. If you want to see the definition of human, just take a look at me.  I've done it all.  In my eyes I have failed and without God's rescue I would be nothing. Good news though, I've been bought at a price and every day I am more and more amazed that for some unknown reason to me God is still here, and He still cares about me.  I can make a billion plans and they will be changed a billion times.  God always knows better than I, and when it's time for him to step in, He doesn't rub it in my face. Instead He honors me with dignity, grace and love.


2.  I didn't quite realize how attached I am to food.  Every time I had to give food away, especially from my own pantry I couldn't seem to part with my food.  It's weird.  I can easily go to the store and replace what I give, and yet there I was standing in my kitchen over and over again at a loss as to what I should give away.  That's so sad to me.  I value food over clothes, toys, media, EVEN SLEEP!!!  Why do we feel we need to have food available at all times?  I will miss a phone call, a play date, my quiet time, nap time, but I will not miss a meal.

There were moments throughout the week, where I felt I heard whispers of the Holy Spirit speaking, and I turned away.  I was going through the food in my house, and I kept pulling out things I didn't need and I kept hearing, "Give the good stuff, give the food you value most."  I couldn't part from them.  I chose an expensive $4 juice over being obedient.  JUICE!!!  FAILED.  Is juice going to save the world?  No.  But if I don't allow the Holy Spirit to control the small things in my life then how can I  expect Him to lead me with more.

3. EVERY one needs and will take any donations even the animal shelter.  As a reward, I took Rhyan to the Animal Shelter to play with the kittens.  While there I decided to donate food (Hey, animals need to eat too).  As soon as I said the word donate, they jumped on the opportunity with great enthusiasm.  This week I donated food to the animal shelter, the Community Storehouse, Compassion, snacks for Girl Scouts, delivered Chick-fil-A to some friends, and fed two lovely missionaries who just arrived home for furlough (my in-laws).

4. Food has been a gateway for me to be more aware of the needs around me.  I've noticed that I never go without.  Just realizing that fact has freed me to be less attached to money and more attached to the command to care for others in need.  I so desperately want my children to realize how MUCh they have and how little others have.  I want them to give more, spend less, and always be aware.

So I say this week has been far from a bust.  It's been humbling and rewarding to say the least.  This next week, I'm not going to plan it out.  I'm going to focus more on following the Spirit's leading and see if and where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment