Monday, April 9, 2012
When my daughter was two we lived at the beach. I remember walking on the beach one cool morning with her looking for shells. At some point we separated and went on our own paths to find shells. When we got back together we sat down on the damp beach and laid out our findings. I displayed my collection of perfect shells, beautiful in color and chipless in design. There wasn't a hole in sight. I was proud. It was a lot of work to find such beauties. Then she dumped out her collection. I looked at her shells, mostly fragments and pieces. There were a few whole shells but even those had holes in them. Most were gray and brown. She smiled at me so proudly. I offered a perfect shell to her but she turned me down. It was then that I saw my own imperfection that I was not born with but taught by a very broken world. Only through the eyes of a two year old can you see something broken and ugly and find it beautiful. Well I am still learning to see the world like my children do. There is not a butterfly unnoticed, a flower not picked, a caterpillar not collected and dirt not untouched by the little hands of God. I want to look at the town we are in just like that. I want us to look at our jobs just like that, and most importantly I do not want to pass through this world without noticing the beauty in brokenness and miss the opportunity to fully live the way God has called me to. What will you notice the beauty in today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment